Latest News and Events

Habitat Harmony to Steward Foxglen Prairie Dog Colony

Print Email

Habitat Harmony has agreed to be the Steward for the Prairie Dog Colony near the Humane Society in Foxglen Park. This site is part of Arizona Game & Fish’s Arizona Watchable Wildlife Experience.

This 7 ½ acre site is owned by the City of Flagstaff and is just west of the Humane Society. It was the site where Dr. Con Slobodchikoff studied prairie dogs, especially their language, for 13 years. Now it is on the Flagstaff Urban Trail and has interpretative signs that explain the lives and habits of prairie dogs in their prairie ecosystem.

As the Steward of the site, Habitat Harmony will

-Visit the site regularly and report any concerns or damage to the AWWE core planning team

-Share our ideas for improving the site for wildlife habitat and visitor enjoyment

-Help improve the web page description of the site, or add content

-Work to pursue funding to upgrade the site for wildlife habitat and visitor enjoyment

Watch for ways to be a good Steward for the Foxglen Prairie Dog Colony in 2012!

Prairie Dog Life

Click on the burrow images to find out more.

Nursing Chamber

A mother keeps her young pups safe while the other Prairie Dogs investigate the snake.

Entering the Burrow

A prairie dog hears an emergency cry of "snake" and goes to investigate.

Listening chamber

A prairie dog sits listening just beneath the surface of the ground.

The Rattlesnake

The rattlesnake found a prairie dog burrow to sleep in but has been discovered by the prairie dogs.

Close Panel

Donate Today!

To make a one-time contribution to Habitat Harmony, Inc. you may donate securely using PayPal's encrypted server by filling out the form below. You do not need to have a paypal account to complete this transaction.
Amount: $
Habitat Harmony, Inc. is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization (Federal Tax ID# 86-0994815). Contributions to Habitat Harmony, Inc. are deductible for federal income tax purposes pursuant to Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. Please consult with your tax advisor.